Wednesday, April 25

What To Do When What You Do Won't Do

"She Sells Sanctuary" - The Cult
In the latest iteration of the ongoing Great Music Geek Survey, Alex made this his choice for "What song can make a shitty day seem less shitty?" He's right you know. It makes everything alright, even shitty eighties drums.

"Rain" - The Beatles
Speaking of drums, Ringo gets a great deal of crap for his drumming, which is injustice writ large. 1966 was Ringo's year. I love that the song was played faster and than slowed in the studio to get the somewhat woozy instrumental sound.

"Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp" - Led Zeppelin
The big cats at the birth of "heavy metal" sure could swing! Zep & Sabbath had stunningly good rhythm sections, though except for John Bonham they remain relatively unsung. John Paul Jones is all over this - bends and slides, supple and swinging. Robert Plant's casual power also duly noted.

"Cinnamon Girl" - Neil Young
As I near my eighth wedding anniversary, I still can be happy the rest of my life with my cinnamon girl. Though my exclamation's of joy aren't as tentative and shy as Neil's wondrous "woo" as the song nears it's end.

"Leaves That Are Green" - Simon and Garfunkel
Whatever is making that chukka-chukka backing sound (is it the autoharp with strings muted?) is my favorite rhythmic device of the moment. Quietly perfect, with Simon confidently singing right in the sweet spot of his vocal range.

"Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll" - Ian Dury
There is no American parallel to the one and only Dury. Swinging, sexy, punk with a piano solo. There is nothing tentative about Ian's yelping exclamations, or the fervency of his belief that "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll are all my brain and body need".

No comments: