Monday, October 2

Alex's Music Geek Challenge (Revisited)

Alex is on a roll, sort of the anti-me, cranking out post after post of parental woe, musical experiences and today, the formerly over-gilded MR. T!

So it seems mere moments after my first real post he upped the ante with yet another Music Geek Survey. Even though I haven't posted much in between, I present The Great Music Survey Strikes Back!

Last Five Albums you bought/burned:

The Pogues reissues
AC/DC - many boots
Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
Bishop Allen - July EP
The Evens - The Evens

Five great albums that are not available on compact disc:


Charles Mingus - Mingus at Carnegie Hall. Mobile Fidelity put this in CD in the early nineties and I missed it. Now highly priced on the used market.
The Chills - Brave Words
The Feelies - the entire catalog, by thunder!
Robyn Hitchcock - Queen Elvis. A&M - no excuse not keeping his catalog in print, or licensing it to Rhino or something.
Secos & Molhados - 1st self-titled album. Available as an import, but Ney Matogrosso's band should be more easily found by all.

Albums you wish they'd re-master/re-release (w/ deluxe bonus tracks, expanded artwork -- the whole nine):

Robyn Hitchcock - Moss Elixir/Mossy Liquor. More people should hear Trilobite.
Charles Mingus - Mingus at Carnegie Hall. The whole concert please, thank you very much!
Butthole Surfers - Double Live. Get the MP3s. Harass them to clean it up and release in higher quality.
Ac/DC - High Voltage/T.N.T./Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. Give the U.S. the real, proper releases of these seminal albums. My crappy MP3s of "Love Song" and "R.I.P." should be in the dustbin.

Album you're looking for but have yet to find:

Captain Beefheart - Lick My Decals off, Baby

"Seminal, canonical" album that you've never owned/heard:

The Who - Who's Next/Tommy/Live at Leed's/Who Sells Out. I never went through a Who phase. I had the crappy Who's Greatest Hits on cassette and never liked it enough to want to hear more. I once dated a girl who was obsessed with Quadrophenia so I've heard that overblown monstrosity many more times then I wanted.

Album you love, but wouldn't want randomly lying around when your in-laws come over:

I don't particularly have one. My in-laws know well enough I like crazy, strange and horrible things. I guess if they found the old vinyl of Jesus Christ Superstar it might be interesting.

Five songs you never want/need to hear again:

"Two Princes" Spin Doctors
"Independent Women" Destiny's Child
"Nobody's Perfect" Madonna
"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" - U2
"Hey Jealousy" - Gin Blossoms

The dealbreaker album: if you spot this album in the person you're dating's collection, it's OVER!

Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell. See this piece from a few years back.

Do you own any albums autographed by the artist:

Inadvertently, yes. I bought Yes, Virginia and the record store gave me an insert signed by the Dresden Dolls. I had nothing to do with it. I've never been an autograph hound, and don't care much either way.

Unlistenable album you'd never part with:

Thus - The Hermeneutic Ubermenschen ... Sing! Former guitar duets by the one and only Neil Feather and his cohort John Berndt. Love Neil, love his instruments, but I don't particularly care for this recording. Love Revelation of An Anaplumb and cherish it more than I should.Favorite song in a genre you otherwise hate:

Garth Brooks - "Friends In Low Places". I detest modern country with it's fake twang and shiny veneer. It is perfectly symbolized by the headlight stickers that attach to the sheet metal on NASCAR vehicles. All surface, no substance, existing only as a slick cosmetic because people expect it.

Songs Played at Your Senior Prom:

I honestly don't remember. I assume a great about of hair metal ballads as it was spring '91 in NH. Probably any song with heaven in the title, like Warrant and Bryan Adams. I think the class song was "Bridge Over Troubled Waters", so that most likely got a spin.

First album you ever bought:

Men At Work - Business As Usual. I had, prior to this, purchased "The Tide Is High" 45 for my sister for her birthday.

Favorite Elton John song:

"Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters"

Favorite David Bowie song:

So hard - far too many I love far too much. Today - "What In The World"

Favorite Bob Dylan song:

Again, too many. "Isis"

Favorite Bruce Springsteen song:

"Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)"

Favorite Michael Jackson song:

"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"

Album you'd leave on continuous play to torture your neighbors over the course of a long weekend with:

My neighbors are all over 500 feet away. Hmm - played louder than loud - how about Bill Cosby - Hooray For The Salvation Army Band!

Worst Cover song ever:

If I don't pick something off that Cosby record, how about Dylan doing "Big Yellow Taxi" on the not-on-cd Dylan album?

3 Albums owned by both your parents and yourself:

I now have my parent's record collection, so there are tons! But as far as albums they played/still play that I have my own copy, I'd say the Simon & Garfunkel albums, Mamas & Papas and The Kingston Trio.

3 Albums you'd wager are in the collection of everyone who might fill this out:

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
The Beatles - Revolver
(Alex picked the big three. He made it up and then handicapped us all - though I don't own The Joshua Tree, and never have.)

3 Albums that SHOULD be in the collection of everyone who might fill this out:

The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God
Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

No comments: